Thursday, 18 March 2010

Interaction

We've been put into groups to research community groups in our local area of Bradford, and if I'm honest I have found it quite difficult to start with.
I'm a very independent person and do not trust people or rely on others for information that is valuable to contributing to group work.
It's also very hard to demand work from your peers, as you know they won't listen to you because you're not an authoritative figure in this college.
It's just hard working with others who you don't trust.

It's a different way of working for me and I suppose I'll have to adapt to it and make it work.
One of our team members has not been in for a few of our sessions and so we have had to work around that and divide the research between the three of us left.
I have been off ill the past couple of days but I did e-mail my reports to 2 of my team members whose emails addresses I had.
I then received another member's reports so we now both have one-another's reports.
Now we will have to research the absent members' work by ourselves and write our essays after we have collated all our information.

I think it would have been better to start this module by ourselves; I think it's created too much stress for some people, I know that it has for me.
Although the aim at the start of the topic was for everyone to contribute to the group work and to make an effort, and spread the research out carefully, it has not happened at all.
Me and a team member are now forced to research 2 community groups which our other members were meant to research. But because of their absence, we have to do the work.
I would have been much happier and more efficient in doing this module by myself.
We've ended up taking on more research than needed at the start of the topic, which angers me as I would have made a better job of it if this was an individual assignment.

I obviously understand the need to work with one-another and encourage one-another to work and contribute, but I cant do it. Not when the other members either don't get along with me or have no interest in this field.

I have started to have feelings of isolation while on this course. I feel that some of the students have no interest or passion for the media or careers within this field.
I could be wrong, but at the moment I feel that something needs to change.
There's also been a split change in the class.
At times I feel out sided from others, and have even heard that someone has sent an e-mail to me explaining something along the lines of me being disrespectful to them.
However, I honestly feel as though I have never disrespected anyone's work. If I have laughed for some reason, I have got caught up in a running joke with a friend or laughing at something that they're doing.
Because of these feelings, my passion for this work has begun to subside, and now I'm beginning to dislike this course, purely because of who is studying it. I feel as though I shouldn't put the work in if others don't, and as though I'm wasting my effort.
I just hope that next year there are students who want to be on this course and that we can work well.

No comments:

Post a Comment